Monday, April 09, 2007

Some Definitions

I have realized lately that when talking about my recent thoughts and understandings, there is not a common understanding of the meaning (definition or use) of certain words or phrases. Since all communication is subjective and symbolic, common association and meaning in the word (symbol) is inherent to effective communication. I've realized that several of my friends engaged in this discussion of "opting out of the American Dream" use terms differently, and thus conflict and misunderstanding develop.

Thus, I thought I would define some words in terms of how I use them. This exercise is mostly for my own sake, so that I can establish common grounds with people I'm having discussion with.

1. The American Dream.

Wikipedia defines it like this:

The American Dream is a subjective term usually implying a successful and satisfying life. Perceptions of the American dream are usually framed in terms of American capitalism, its associated purported meritocracy, and the freedoms guaranteed by the U.S. Bill of Rights. The term is not easily defined, and has subjective meaning to many who claim it. The term is used by many modern Americans to signify success in life as a result of hard work (as in, "living [or pursuing] the American Dream").
To put it in my own words, the American Dream is a socioeconomic construct that informs us that freedom (defined as Americans define it... freedom of speech, press, religion, etc) and capitalism combine to allow hard working individuals to attain a better life (as defined by your socioeconomic status) for yourself and your children. Implicit in that construct is a value system that esteems individuality, material wealth, status, and security obtained by individual hard work.

Wikipedia mentions some criticism this way:

However, there are also those who think that the American dream is not even a good ideal to try to live up to:

I think that that sums up the critique I have of the American Dream.

2. Community.

I will try to use it as it is commonly understood in most circles; a community is a collection of people bound together in some fashion, whether it be geographic (like a neighborhood), a belief system, or a profession. For example, I'm part of the broader "medical community." Or, a "community church" is a church claiming to be more connected to a locality than to a denomination.

3. Intentional Community.

When I use this term, I'm referring to a group of people who have chosen to be in relationship to one another, with certain benefits and responsibilities. For example, a biologic family is not intentional community (at least not initially) because you can't choose your family. Or, just living in a neighborhood is not intentional community, because you can't choose your neighbors, nor are do you make commitments to one another.

4. Communal Community.

I recognize the inherent redundancy, but in using this term I'm building on the common usages of the terms "commune" and "communal"; in other words, a communal community is a group of people who actual share a living space or common spaces. Roommates are a form of communal community.

5. Intimate Community.

To me, this term represents a group of people who are very emotionally and socially intimate. This could refer to a family, or to any of the above other types of community.

6. Holistic Community.

I had trouble finding a phrase to describe an emotionally intimate, purposefully committed group of people who share a common living space. Holistic is the best term I could come up with, as it refers to a community that is intimate, intentional, and communal.

Perhaps defining these things will help me in my own deliberation/meditations. For example, I'm really wanting an intimate community that is also intentional. I am definitely willing to have that in a communal setting. But that is not the only way. Several of us could move into the same neighborhood with the intention of being committed to each other and being Christ in the community. We could spend a lot of time together, but still have separate houses. It may not be holistic community, but it would be intimate and intentional.

May God grant me the wisdom to understand his will for me, and grant me intimacy with him and others, and give me the strength to do it intentionally. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, come on down...