Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I guess I still love Arizona...

Or at least parts of it. I am so impressed with the Show Low/Pinetop-Lakeside area. Estimates put the population of Show Low at about 10,000, and Pinetop-Lakeside at about 5,000. So these twin contiguous cites have a combined population of about 15,000. No doubt there is some additional people in surrounding unincorporated areas. But this is definitely not a major city. True, it is the largest “metro” area in east central Arizona. For my personal comparison, this area is a little smaller than Kirksville, Missouri, where I went to medical school. But this area is even further from the nearest major city (Phoenix is four hours away). Despite its small size, this community has nearly all the amenities that I would desire. It has several Mexican and Chinese restaurants, as well as a Thai restaurant and a Japanese hibachi grill/sushi bar. In terms of fast food, there is everything, from the national stuff (KFC, Taco Bell, Burger King, McDonalds, etc) to Western favorites (Jack in the Box and Samuri Sam’s). There is both a Lowes and a Home Depot. There is adequate shopping, and also 13 movie screens, plus an additional 4 discout theater screens. There is plenty of hiking, fishing, and land available. It is half an hour from a ski resort. The climate is amazing, too. At 6,300 feet above sea level, it stays relatively cool in the summer (mid to upper 80s), while getting very cold in the winter, with frequent snows. It is high desert, so it is very dry and sunny, but is “green” year round because of the Ponderosa pines.

True, I love cities. And I love Ohio and the green grass that just grows. Sometimes I hate “knowing” the other side of things, because I like both sides so much, sometimes I feel paralyzed. Thankfully, there is more to where you live than the climate or amenities. For me, right now, a faith community and friends who share my values and visions of the Kingdom are most important, and that is what makes Canton, Ohio, “home.”

No comments: