Friday, January 05, 2007

Insights from Isaiah

On Sunday I visited my parent's home church, where I grew up. I know a lot of people there, and have a lot of fond memories and role models/mentors there. The preacher, Brent, pointed out some things that I had never really noticed. I'm not sure I totally agree with his whole perspective, but it is compelling and exciting to consider. He pointed out that just as someone would turn to the Book of Psalms to know David's heart, so too would someone turn to Isaiah to know the heart of Jesus. He points out that there seems to be four "Messiah" Psalms, or songs, in Isaiah. He seems to believe that Isaiah was the mouthpiece of the Word, the pre-incarnate Jesus, and these four songs reveal the heart of Jesus. We are most familiar with the 4th Song of the Messiah, in Isaiah 52:13-53:12. But it starts with the 1st Song, in Isaiah 42, particularly verses 1 through 9, which promises a Servant of compassion and justice. The 2nd Song is Isaiah 49:1-13. Here you seem to have the revealed heart of the Messiah, struggling with the stubborness of God's people, and wondering if everything he's done and about to do is worth it. And God says resoundingly, "Yes! I will strengthen you, and you will be successful not only in bringing Israel back to me, but also the Gentiles." The 3rd Song is in Isaiah 50:4-11, which reveals the "self-speak" of the Servant, strengthening his will to obey God. The final Song is the one mentioned first, starting in Isaiah 52:13. Of course, this is the famous "suffering Servant" song.

This perspective and ordering are fascinating, and worthy of days of discussion and study. But something even more striking resonated with me and where I am in my spiritual journey. In our house church, Jared Coleman, our Resident Thought Provoker, recently reiterated an important aspect of Christianity. That aspect is that we are to be a royal priesthood. One implication is that we are to function as mediators of God to humanity. (This is in contrast to many perspectives on Christianity, that seem to categorize people as either a royal son or daughter of the Father, or as dogs who are ignored by God; in other words, you're either in or your ignored by God. But God's plan is for his people to share their blessings, to show him to the world, to serve them in his name). Anyway, Brent pointed out what I believe to be another way of thinking about the Christian's commission. In Isaiah 42:1 (NLT), he says, "Look at my servant, whom I strengthen. He is my chosen one, and I am please with him." This definitely has reference to the Messiah, Jesus. Jesus is the ultimate servant of God. Contrast that with Israel. In verses 18 and 19: "Oh, how deaf and blind you are toward me! Why won't you listen? Why do you refuse to see? Who in all the world is as blind as my own people, my servant? Who is as deaf as my messengers? Who is as blind as my chosen people, the servant of the LORD?" (NLT). The contrast within the same passage could get confusing. But it is powerful. Israel was intended by God to be his servant, the one with whom he was well pleased. But Israel failed. Miserably. So, Jesus came to be that servant of God. But what was God's servant supposed to do? Bring food to him? Praise his name? No. He was not to be some earth-bound angel. Phrases from these Messiah Songs tell us what God's servant was supposed to do. Reveal justice and be merciful to all the nations (42:1-4); a light to the nations (42:6); free captives, give sight to the blind (42:7); restores relationships (49:6); speak wisdom and comfort to the weary (50:4); does not hide in shame from the beating the world gives (50:5-6); carry the burdens of the weak (53:4); etc, etc. Isreal was to do this in the world; he Law was set up to share these thoughts and principles with Mankind. But she failed. And God stepped in, and gave of himself to be this servant of God. Though he would belong to God, he would not primarily serve God, but serve Mankind.

As the new Israel, we are called to be God's servants. In Christ, we become the faithful servant of God. This is a powerful message that I need to be reminded of often.

No comments: