Saturday, April 05, 2008

Spring is near...

Spring is throwing hints that it is arriving. Today was relatively warm and was mostly sunny. But more telling, I have noticed the crickets and frogs start their annual symphonic residence in the woods around my house. It brought to mind a poem I wrote years ago where the crickets and fireflys inspired me:

I Walked Among The Stars

The air was cool and damp and calm
The summer sun set to retire
The clouds - a pallet in the sky
The frogs and crickets - nature's choir.

As I meandered through my lawn
And earth did don her dark attire
My wandering gaze in awe did see
Behold, the lights! The lights of fire!

In hues of black and green and blue
My yard transformed before my sight -
A universe of smaller scale
With fireflies the stars of night.

Amazement swelled within my soul
My head and lips were full of praise
Yet silence gripped me, for I knew
No better accolades to raise.

A brighter orb transfixed my sight
And I felt drawn to this bright sun
Only to see two separate stars
So very close, they shone as one.

And in that dusk so suddenly
I thought of you, and longing grew
To hold you in my arms at night
And offer thanks to God for you.

So shall our life together be
Yes me and you, my love, my dear -
Two burning stars shining so bright
And yet so close, as one appear.

And though you may not be right here
And Sol return to bring back sight
These thoughts I'll cherish just because
I walked among the stars that night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony, you rock! That is so beautiful. I can see the lights and hear the choir and feel your thoughts !

Tony H. said...

Thanks Kim! I appreciate that. I enjoy writing poetry, but it doesn't come very often.