Wednesday, September 03, 2008

A Forced (but needed) Respite

It has been way too long in writing. I have needed to write, not just to update a little-read blog, or even to update the few friends that read this blog. No, I have needed to write as a process of digestion of what has occurred in the last several months.

As I start writing this, I am in the Atlanta airport, waiting for a connecting flight from Akron to Phoenix. It has been nearly one year since I have been back in Phoenix. That was a relaxing week spent with my family in the White Mountains of Arizona, and I think fondly on that week. Due to a variety of circumstances which I hope to elucidate in the next several posts, I have not had the vacation time nor the money to travel much in the last year, much less get back to Phoenix. I would not be making this trip now to spend over a week in Phoenix if it were not for the fact that my dad is having his hip replaced on Wednesday, September 3, and he paid for me to come out to be with the family during this anticipated rough week.

So, this was an unexpected respite, but one that is greatly needed. There is not a whole lot planned for much of the week, and I hope to spend much of my needed down time blogging about the last year. Topics I hope to touch on, if ever so briefly, include:

1. My best friend’s theo-philosophical journey
2. A huge job change and transition
3. A fun “business” trip to Denver with two great friends
4. My relationship with my wonderful girlfriend, Carey
5. The attempt at selling my house and future plans
6. Provoking thoughts about regarding theology provoked by a history book
7. My philosophical wranglings with atheism
8. The state of my spiritual journey and exciting trajectories
9. Thoughts about Obama and Palin in the current presidential races

This is an ambitious list, and I’m not likely to get to all of these, but by listing them, it provides a goal. Hopefully, this exercise will provide some clarity on some of these issues, for me if not anyone else.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ATLANTA!! Really. I hope it was a quick lay-over. Next time let us know. It is only 1 1/2 hours which is way too close not to try to see you!!

Anonymous said...

I hope that the surgery went well for your Dad and that the recovery period will go smoothly. I only read to Atlanta before my last comment so I hadn't made it through to see everything. I'm anxious to read more and excited to hear about all of your opportunities, changes, and joys! I really enjoyed your "what are you for post" and will try to put into practice that perspective as I can see how it would be greatly beneficial.

When we first moved to GA we really concentrated on what we are for - what we believe in, etc. Lately though we've found ourselves focusing on how we are different and what we are against. It is exhausting. I'm not sure how we got to that point. Being in an election year with both parties working to polarize voters doesn't help.

We too heard a very political sermon about a year ago. It was hugely disappointing.