Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hurricane Ike Strikes Ohio

I live in Ohio for many reasons... seasons, snow, green grass, awesome people, small towns, rich history... and (so I thought) few natural disasters. Sure, there are periodic floodings, and a rare blizzard. But nothing like California's fires and earthquakes, or Oklahoma's "Tornado Alley," or the South's hurricanes. Usually.

Sunday evening, Hurricane Ike roared across Ohio, trekking rapidly to Canada. That was Sunday, about 6 p.m. when I lost power (in the middle of doing laundry). Well, as of this morning, I was one of the 1.4 million Ohioans still without power. Reportedly, it won't be until Friday or Saturday until I get power.

What a crazy experience. Here's my routine now. Stay out in the "powered" world until 8 or 9pm. Go home, and put on my LED head-band flash light, find clothes for the next day, pack my gym bag, brush my teeth utilizing a bottle of water (since I have a well, no power means no water), and going to bed, using my phone as an alarm clock. Then, I get up in the dark, get some old clothes on, and go to the YMCA where I shower, then head to work. I have to charge my phone in the car. There is so much not getting done!

I have always had sympathy for Iraqis who only had 2 hours of power a day in the heat of the summer. Now, I have empathy. I can't wash my dishes or clothes, much less my body and teeth! And while being male allows me to water the flowers off the deck when I need to, I have been in more public bathrooms than I can to consider.

Thankfully, the weather has been great! Highs in the upper 60s and low 70s, sunny, dry, and evenings in the upper 40s and low 50s. Nice sleeping weather with all the windows open!

1 comment:

Niels said...

Hey Tony, we really think you should post a picture of you with your LED head-band flash light! :-)