Monday, March 12, 2007

Continued (though lessened) Raw Frustration

For background to this post, please see the previous post.

Issue #3: The importance, roles, and dangers of investing authority.

As we consider the shape and direction of our local Body of Christ, the issue of authority is front and center. It never seemed to be an issue when there were only 8 or so of us. Now that we regularly have 16-20 people, it is much more of an issue. It became obvious to me when a friend and I were discussing how to define ourselves before we are defined from the outside. Right now, the core has a sense of what we are about and what we value. We share much of that in common. But if several people were to come into the community who are not familiar with those values and sense of direction, no one would have the authority (as it stands right now) to share with these new community members what our values are. Several could go up to them and share individually, but no one has explicit authority to represent the group.

For example, and to revisit the previous post, say a few people decide that they value a "Purpose Driven Church" model, and they start pushing for everyone to go along with this idea (speaking from experience, Jared and I tried this with the group of about 6 others, and it failed miserably... because it was not in line with our values nor our strengths). I could go up to one of them and say, "You know, I don't think this idea will work for this group. I don't think it is in line with our values, and I'm certainly not comfortable with it." They may or may not take it to heart. But that has a very different impact than someone who has authority vested in them from the group coming up to them and saying in love, "We appreciate the idea, but this isn't building on our group's strengths. It is not in line with our values. These are our values... "

In other words, "authority" or "leadership" has a very important role that I never really appreciated: Protection. Explicitly recognized leaders have vested authority to protect the values, goals, and intentions of the community.

But there is still the little problem of having someone speak for everyone. It is really only a modern problem, where everyone feels (rightly?) entitled to their voice and opinion. What if the leader says or does something that you don't agree with? Humility and submission are part of the equation, no doubt (from a Biblical standpoint), as 1 Peter and Hebrews 13 make clear. But what do those passages mean in today's context?

I can imagine several responses to this whole vein of thinking, largely based on personality and background. To those who grew up in authoritarian churches, where individuals had little or no real voice (and therefore power), two reactions are likely. Those who feel safe and function well in those environments (think SJs for you Meyers-Briggs aficionados) will likely wonder what all the hubbub is about. "Of course you need leaders!" For those who have been hurt in such churches, or who are more independent of mind and spirit (SPs and NTs), there is a tendency to be more egalitarian by nature, and would be resistant to repeating "mistakes" of the past. Power trips and egos seem to go with most "leaders" and also division. To those who grew up in very loose, egalitarian churches, this may seem like backsliding and promotion of division, since strong leadership tends to bring clarity of differences, not similarities. But, there are likely some from that background who would like to stand for something, and know that the community will stand with them. Leadership can provide that unifying force of focus.

Let me make this clear, lest any missed this in my posts: I'm very aware of the New Testament passages on authority. I grew up in a background that not only values authority, but Bible study and memorization (one of the many things I'm very grateful for). So I'm familiar with all the traditional (Church of Christ) arguments and logic for understanding authority. I have not forgotten these things. Notice, however, that I did not say that I know what the Bible says about authority and leadership. I am no longer confident in my understanding of what the Bible says to us today. I can confidently state what it said to the people of the 1st century, but even then I fear presumptuousness if I say that I know what it meant to the people of the 1st century.

All that to say that these issues are not as clear cut and black and white as they were for me in the past. Some will lament, others rejoice. I can do neither; those actions require grounds for making value judgments. I'm in the thick of it, with no place to look down from and make such judgments.

But Christ is faithful, and I know He loves me, and that this journey will grow my dependence on Him for clarification and perspective. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is difficult in dealing with people who are trying to work together.

It really is.

Many leaders have faced the same difficulties you are describing.

Good luck with it. Like I said, if God is your guide it is much easier.

:)