Monday, March 19, 2007

Orlando in Review: Last Things First

On Sunday, March 18, 2007, Jen and I were done with our conference at 10 am, so we decided to head to the beach. We decided to head towards Clearwater (the Gulf Coast, near Tampa/St. Petersburg). While online previously, we decided upon Fort DeSoto County Park, which was rated as the #1 Beach in America a couple of years ago. I now know why.

It was sunny, and only about 68-70 degrees. The Park is located on an island at the mouth of Tampa Bay. I have not been to too many beaches, but this was impressive. Miles and miles of beach... and the white sand was like powder, at least in the area we were at. There were tons of shells, many of which I had never seen before, and the colors were much more varied than at other beaches I have been to.

We got there and ate Subway for lunch on the beach (the seagulls and other birds were quite enthralled with us). Then we walked to beach to a pier, and spent some time there. We decided to sun bathe... without sunscreen (oops!). By 4:30 pm, I was quite burned, and headed to the shade. Later, Jen joined me and we went to dinner (at IHOP, no less), and then made it just in time to see this.





And so it came about, that I saw my first sunset on the gulf. It was amazing. The orb seemed to melt into the water, seemingly just miles out in the ocean. It was incredible. We had read from Ephesians 5 earlier, and following this incredible display of beauty, sang parts of "I Will Call Upon The Lord." When I see something like this, what else can I do but call out to the Lord, proclaiming that he lives!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great day! I hope the conference was worth the trip, too but I'm sure that it wasn't better than the sunset!

Jared Coleman said...

I've watched the sun go down at Fort DeSoto myself! Now that brings back memories.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics!

Angie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie said...

Hey! I've been to that beach, as well! Cool! Glad that you had a great time! =)