Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Fascinating Thought in Song

My friends Carey and Doug joined me in going to Christ Presbyterian Church in Canton for Christmas Eve service. It was beautiful. It started with a half-hour concert (broadcast on a local radio station) by the church's choir. Then, there was a 1.5 hour liturgical, candlelight communion service. I was surprised how much I liked it, since my only other liturgical experience (at a Canton Episcopal church) was less than inspiring. I have many observations about the difference between liturgical and "evangelical" churches, but that will have to wait for a possible later post.

The Eastern Orthodox tradition refers to a term in reference to the Trinitarian Godhead - perichoresis. Literally, it means, "dancing around," and refers to the intimacy and coordination involved in joyful dancing.

One of the songs that was sung at the Christmas Eve service was composed by one of my favorite contemporary choral composers, John Rutter. The song was called "Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day." The words are beautiful, and build upon the thought of the perichoresis:

Tomorrow shall be my dancing day:
I would my true love did chance
To see the legend of my play,
To call my true love to my dance:

Sing oh my love, oh my love, my love, my love;
This have I done for my true love.

Then was I born of a virgin pure,
Of her I took fleshy substance;
Thus was I knit to man's nature,
To call my true love to my dance:

Sing oh my love, oh my love, my love, my love;
This have I done for my true love.

In a manger laid and wrapped I was,
So very poor, this was my chance,
Betwixt an ox and a silly poor ass,
To call my true love to my dance:

Sing oh my love, oh my love, my love, my love;
This have I done for my true love.

What more can I say? Amen.

1 comment:

Tony H. said...

I was recently reminded that I have had a least two other liturgical experiences. One was in a Luthern (Missouri Synod) Church in Kirksville, and the other was at a Catholic Church in Cleveland. I guess it was just the really "bad" experience that I remembered. Just thought I'd be thorough, since it came to mind.