Friday, May 05, 2006

My first post to my first blog


Wow. I did not see this day coming. For reasons that I have never been able to articulate, I have been resistant to blogging. I think there have been several factors.

First, sometimes ignorance is bliss. It is often easier to "maintain the peace" among friends, family, and co-workers if those random thoughts never get articulated. You never have to answer for something you "thought" (other than to God, of course). Second, as a physician, there is just something odd about your patients knowing too much about you. I mean, come on, how would you feel if you found out that your doctor struggled spiritually, or voted opposite of you, or held strong convictions about your circumstances, etc. Plus, there are certain joys that sometimes you want to keep a little private.

But, I have overcome these hesitations. I have decided to wade into the waters of blogging. I will just have to be careful about "work" issues creeping in.

So, why blog? It is not really to interact with "the cyber community" per se. Of course I will, and because I'm an extravert, I will enjoy it. But really, like most bloggers I suppose, the benefit arises from the act of blogging, of articulating vague thoughts and observations. Plus, I have always liked the idea of a journal. I've just not been able to actually implement one. Maybe this will be easier. We'll see. And so expect very random, sometimes messy thoughts and observations.

2 comments:

Jessica Blakemore said...

I signed up for an account but haven't used it yet... but I tend to end up having e-mails I send to friends be more like journal entries... so maybe I should do this too! It sounds like a good way to get all of my thoughts and ideas & opinions out that I never get to express! It also seems like a good way for people to stay in touch with you when they don't really want to talk about anything neccesarily. I love writing too, so I think it will be fun. Thanks for the motivation!!

Tony H. said...

Thanks Jess! Yes, you should! It is great!